Wednesday, July 29, 2009

It's A Day to Day Thing

It bothers me that I never know how well I will run on any given day. Sure, there are days when I just know I’ll feel terrible. I also have runs where I feel there’s no way I’m going to get through it, but it ends up being a good run and I feel pretty strong. And then there are the days when I think “I’m going to feel great” and I go out and just slog through it.

Then there are times like this morning. I woke up feeling fatigued. I surrendered to the inevitability that I would endure fatigue and put the miles in anyway. And as I started the run, I did feel fatigued. But about 2 miles in, something changed. It was as if I found the sweet spot in my stride. Suddenly, running felt effortless. I noticed that I went from 9:40 pace to 9:18 pace seemingly without any additional effort. I felt more efficient than I ever had before. Seriously, it was a quasi-spiritual experience. The rest of the run just felt so right that I focused my conscious attention on my stride and was not bored in the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment