Friday, January 8, 2010

FRIDAY FUNNY: VHS Reveals

Surely the running gods shall smite me for this, but with the help of my accomplice here, I simply cannot pass up the opportunity to poke fun at this 1995 instructional video that Bill Dellinger produced at the University of Oregon.

Notice I said video, not DVD. Yes, it's true, I have a secret hidden VHS video vault in my home. I occassionaly break out a classic or three for my secret video viewing pleasure.

The other day, in a blind search for Pretty In Pink, I inadvertently discovered this dusty gem, so of course I popped it in the old player (uh, yes...I also have a VHS player- duh!)curious to see what might have originally prompted me to send away for this. You see, I'm pretty sure there was no online ordering back then. I probably had to fill out an order form and wait 3-6 weeks before my bubble packaged envelope arrived in the mailbox.

O.K., I will say this: with few exceptions, the actual information contained therein is basically solid. Occasionally, some random "fact" is thrown out there like, "you must reduce the mileage of the athlete with high arches, as they are prone to injury." Huh? Otherwise, Mr. Bill spends 45 minutes speaking about solid stuff like the Priniples of Moderation, Progression, Adaptation, Variation, and Callousing.

All good stuff....but delivered in a monotone of m.o.n.o.t.o.n.o.u.s.n.e.s.s.

It's unbearable how bad a public speaker Mr. Bill is. Why they would not just have him stand next to someone who could actually make this stuff sound interesting,vital,facinating even, is beyond me.

But here's where it gets good. Playing in the background is footage of collegiate level runners training and racing on the track, a lot of it on Hayward Field before it got all prettied up for the US Olympic Trials.


Moderation. The ability to reach the big meets healthy and injury
free. Rudy Chapa and Alberto Salazar are used as examples for how it is better to enter the championship under trained than over trained.

Apparently, the concept of clothing moderation was lost on these two.


Progression. During this five minute discussion charts are used of Matt Davis’ goal of running 13:30 for 5000 meters. By adjusting the date and goal paces, workouts can be tailored for each athlete. Charting progress and changing intervals are the guides to each workout. Steve Prefontaine is used as an example of adjusting goals.

By adjusting their shorts, these guys can avoid showing those butt cheeks.



Boys, for what it's worth, Steve Prefontaine somehow managed to look cool in his Duck uniform.



Callousing. The basic premise of.. I'm not even going there.

Happy Friday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment