Ever feel like you're stuck in a
Drew Barrymore movie rut? Like your running is going nowhere, slowly? Like you're bored and tired and you've forgotten why you run? If you answered "yes" to any of the above, then you will love the movie Whip It you may need to do what I just did: Go Get Ya Some! And by "some" I am in no way referring to Sex, Money, Victory, or the ever lovin' MFRP*
I'm referring to what I'm now calling the Summer Of Mojo Encouragement (SOME). As the name implies, I am going to spend this summer trying to
duplicate whatever the hell Big Easy has done to be so god damn happy with his running building speed, strength, and god-like confidence in my running so that I can ultimately be my own hero and race like I mean it when it counts. And when might that be, you ask? Well, here's how I see 2011 and beyond in terms of key races:
- Foothills Trail 77-Mile (Goal - finish #2) - September '11
- The Pitchell (Pisgah to Mitchell) (Goal - Sub 23:50) - October '11
- Bartram 100's (Goal - 100 mile finish) - December '11
- The Barkley Marathons (Goal - Don't die) April '12
If you're a fan of Drew Barrymore's movie, "Whip It" (and let's face it, why wouldn't you be?) then you remember Razor**, the Hurl Scouts' coach who, with his jean-shorts and ability to create excellent plays, tries to get them to compete to the best of their abilities.*** Like Razor, I understand it's all about playing smart and staying aggressive.
In the Summer of Mojo Encouragement, I vow to:
- Refine my training by adding 1 day a week of pure speed work to my training. This will (progressively) include hill repeats, intervals, repeat quarters, and repeat miles.
- Approach the puke threshhold many times. My toes will feel at home curled over the edge.
- Schedule a 5K Tune-Up race in 3 months.
- Schedule an 8K Key Race race in 4months (Maggie Valley Moonlight Run).
- Continue to run all my other runs like the beastly ultra runner I am, including 5-10 hour runs on the weekends, gnarly mountain trail runs with the Pirate, bushwacking practice for Barkley...
- Never forget it's an "Experiemnt of One"- if it's not working, change it up.
You, too, can join me in (getting) SOME.. Let’s make 2011 the best year of running ever! By years' end, those that have taken on the challenge may find themselves honorary members of the Run Like You Got Some Ultra Project…
[Que great sequence which includes Psyche's training montage set to the .38 Special song, "Caught Up In You"].
* Muther Fucking Running Pirate (a.k.a Charles Raffensperger)
** Brilliantly played by Andrew Wilson, the bearded older brother of Luke and Owen. From his team plays, team speeches and beard, to his cut off jean shorts and sweat band, Razor ROCKS and we need to see more of this Wilson brother in movies. Now.
*** File this under "why I love Razor"- coaches who stop at nothing to motivate their underdog team are a dime a dozen, but Razor takes it to a whole new level by actually coaching the enemy in order to shaft his own team.