Monday, August 17, 2009

Usain Bolt's 9.58 Reminds Me of Ben Johnson's 9.79

Yesterday I witnessed Usain Bolt shatter his world record with an unbelievable time of 9.58 seconds. 9.58.... wow. I still can't believe it. Here's the video evidence, in German to preserve the authenticity.



So far, no other event at these world championships has piqued my interest but I made sure I saw the 100m final live. You could sense the record was going to fall. You knew Bolt could run faster. I think he can run raster, still.

Watching Bolt blow away the other runners reminded me of Ben Johnson's 9.79 in Seoul. 24-hours later, Ben broke our hearts, but for a glorious day in 1988, Ben was without a doubt the fastest man in the world. Because I'm a glutton for punishment, here's Ben's drug-assisted 9.79.



I hope Usain Bolt is clean. I want him to make the world stop at 9.4s.

No comments:

Post a Comment